Thursday, August 23, 2012

Trip Re-Kap - The Wedding

The wedding was on the weekend right before we were coming home. We (meaning M.Kramlik) of course needed to be there for the bachelor party as well, which was the weekend before. Since the wedding was in another city the groom's family rented a coach bus for us to take from the village to the wedding.
Let’s just say that the Hungarians know how to throw a great party. We all had to meet at the Groom’s parents’ house at 10 am for pre-wedding celebrations and to get on the bus. We ate some cookies, drank some shots, and then packed onto the bus. Where the partying continued!

The wedding was divided into three parts. First we went to the hotel where the reception would be for a pre-church service meal. Appetizers were served along with drinks. This gave all of the guests a chance to mingle. Which for me meant a chance to take lots of group photos!

Then we walked over to the church which was literally right outside the hotel's door.
They had a traditional Catholic service which lasted about an hour. I tried paying attention but I was so overwhelmed by the beautiful church. It was one of the prettiest churches I have ever seen.
Tamas and Linda looked beautiful and I of course cried when they said their vows. Even though I couldn’t understand all of it, I knew what they were promising to one another and it made me think of my own wedding. After the service it was time to eat and party!  We ate like Kings and danced like fools.  Ok, I danced like a fool and M.Kramlik drank it up. 

A good time was had by all.  This next morning however, was a bit rough for some of us.  I think by the time that we walked back to where we were staying it was about 5AM!!
Yikers M.Kramlik...looking real rough.  And because nothing says "Good Morning" like a shot of warm palinka...bottoms up!

I have no idea how he managed to do that shot, I would have thrown up!  After this it was time to say good-bye to our friends and get back on the bus and head for home.

Little did we know that we were in for a really big surprise when we got to the airport the next day!  

The next night we headed to the airport.  We purposely booked these tickets because 1- they were cheap and 2- we could leave at night which just about never happens.  It is always in the morning.  We arrive to the airport with plenty of time, wait in line forever, and finally make it to the ticket counter.  It turned out that because our flights on the way over were screwed up, it affected our return flights.  They couldn't find us in the computer system and I swear the lady at the counter made six different phone calls and then with just about no time to spare handed us our tickets.  We were the last two on the plane with seats at the back! 

Now the lady at the ticket counter was only able to issue us our boarding passes from Budapest to Helsinki and Helsinki to Manchester.  She told us that when we got to Helsinki that they should be able to get us the last one from Manchester to Chicago.  When we arrived in Helsinki it was 10:45pm, so needless to say no one was around to help us out!  Ok, we will find our place to camp out for the night and talk to someone in the morning. 

We started out in these lounge chairs, but M.Kramlik couldn't get comfortable.  So we moved over to these rows of chairs.

In this large section of the airport it was only M.Kramlik, myself and one other person.  I slept as best as I could be every little noise would wake me up and I wasn't warm enough either.  We were going to try to find a hotel room, but we got turned around in the airport and couldn't find it.  The next morning we both had agreed that we were glad we didn't spend the money.

When we got up the next morning we headed out to find someone who could help us get our tickets.  We found the American Airlines agent who proceeded to tell us that they can't issue our tickets.  When we get to Manchester they will have to do it there.  Alright, so off to find some breakfast.  We found this little cafe.  I showed you the pictures of us earlier but here is one of the cafe itself.

We got on the plane and headed to Manchester.  When we arrived there we go through security and headed to the American Airlines desk again for our boarding passes.  This time they tell me that there is a group of passengers who are in the same position as us and they will help us directly at the boarding gate.  Alright, so off we go.  When we got to the boarding gate, they tell us that we are not listed on the flight manifest and the flight is full.  Ok, first of all this is not something that you tell someone who has just spent the last 9 hours "trying" to sleep on airport chairs.  I tried to stay calm at this point, but I think that the steward helping us is realizing quickly that I am losing all of my patients.  He told us that he is going to speak to one of his colleagues and would be back for us in a little while if we could just have a seat and wait.  So back to waiting, it seems like all of the other passengers that were in the same boat as us, are all going through and boarding the plane.  Oh, did I forget to mention that detail.  Yup, this was all happening while our flight was boarding!   The steward finally came back and told us that they found seats for us but that they aren't together..ok felt a little better but who wants to sit next to a stranger for 7 hours when they could be sitting next to M.Kramlik! 

So we went and visited Terry ( I should have known that only good things were going to happen at this point).  He asked us if his colleague had us in a panic, M.Kramlik replies with something like, "Yeah, she was freaking out."  To which Terry replied, "Imagine being married to that guy....not that I am."  At which point I knew that we were in good hands.  Terry made a phone to Helen and says, "Helen darling, I have two love birds on honeymoon can I take seats something and something (I don't remember the numbers and letters anymore).  He hung up and says no worries I am getting you on the flight!  I think I cried a little bit in relief.  He issued us our tickets and of course M.Kramlik has to go to the bathroom.  We walked across the way and M.Kramlik goes in and I sit down to wait for him.  While I am waiting Terry came over and says to me, "I need to take the tickets from you, but trust me you don't want to say no to this.  Because I am going to give you two First class tickets, they only bad thing is that you can't sit next to one another."  My response was something along the lines of "Who cares it's First Class!"  M.Kramlik came out of the bathroom and I tell him what happened with our tickets.  Terry came back over with our new tickets and told M.Kramlik that he owes me diamonds.  M.Kramlik told him that he will get him one too!

Terry then proceeded to board the plane with us and asked the guy sitting in M.Kramlik's seat if he would switch with him so that we could sit next to one another. 

While all of this was happening I was seriously thinking that I would never fly American Airlines again, but Terry really came to their rescue.  He so went the extra mile for us on everything. 

So there we were living it up in First Class.  We drank, ate, and got to lay down completely.  Living the high life!

There you have a little glimpse into our trip home.  Some highs and some lows.  But hey anytime I can fly First Class for free I am a happy camper!

Just a heads up no blog post tomorrow as I am going to the local German Fest with some friends, but I will be back on Saturday for a post all about it. 

Keep checking back here friends for all of the exciting posts I have planned.  Really I do, I promise.  Maybe if my hands aren't to tired from this post, I will quick post one of posts to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment